Okay. So it’s been way too long since I’ve updated. But, I have been baking! So get ready to see a bunch of updates! Alright, so voila! Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes topped with Blackberry Buttercream.
Okay so first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, take 1/3 c poppy seeds and soak them in 1 c buttermilk for 30 minutes.
Okay so put egg whites into a bowl and let them become room temperature. In a different bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Beat the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
Then beat in the lemon juice and zest.
Once that is incorporated, alternate the poppy-buttermilk mixture and flour mixture.
Whip the egg whites until light and fluffy and fold it into the batter.
Evenly divide the batter into lined cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Once they’re done, let the cupcakes cool and make the black berry compote. Take your blackberries and mix in a food processor. Take a sieve and strain the seeds from the blended blackberries.
Then you’re left with this yummy compote:
Okay now onto the blackberry buttercream. Go ahead and make our staple swiss meringue buttercream by mixing the egg whites and sugar in a double broiler until the sugar has dissolved. Then whisk the egg whites till stuff and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Slowly add room temperature butter until it is all incorporated. Then switch to the paddle attachment until the buttercream gets fluffy and all the clumps have been beaten out. Take a cup of the blackberry compote and slowly incorporate it into the buttercream. It turns into a really pretty violet color.
Then core our a cone from each cupcake:
Fill the holes with the leftover compote and then top them again.
Then pipe on some yummy blackberry buttercream [some of the cupcakes you’ll see are pink and that’s cuz I had extra raspberry buttercream from my previous cupcakes :)]
I added some pretty sugar crystals for decorations and I sprinkled some edible silver stars on the blackberry cupcakes. My roommate, Sheva, got me this really cute cupcake stand and I used it to show off my cupcakes 🙂
Okay here are the recipes!
LEMON POPPYSEED CUPCAKES
- 1/3 c poppyseeds
- 1 c buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 c butter flavored shortening
- 1.5 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice from 1 meyer lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- soak poppy seeds in buttermilk for 30 minutes
- mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy
- mix in lemon juice and zest
- alternate with buttermilk mixture and flour mixture
- whip egg whites until stiff peaks form
- fold in egg whites to the batter
- evenly fill lined muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes
- 3-4 c blackberries
- Blend blackberries in food processor
- strain the compote in a sieve
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 c blackberry compote
- Cut holes out of cupcakes
- Fill with compote
- top the holes again
- Pipe buttercream on cupcakes
- Use sprinkles [if desired] to decorate
Have fun and have a great New Year!