So another of the desserts I made for Rob’s birthday are cake pops!
These are REALLY easy and REALLY festive! You can either take boxed cake or make your own batter. I made chocolate cake and yellow cake.
Make cream cheese frosting, or just grab canned cream cheese frosting. If you make your own, use 3/4 of a c If you use the can, use half the can. Mix it with your COOLED cake.
Make round balls and place in a baking dish or cookie sheet.
Place the dish in the freezer for 5 minutes to firm the balls up. Then take your candy melts and melt them. This part is really sensitive. Only put it in for 30 sec- 1 minute at a time and mix after each round to make sure they don’ get too hot and burn. My pink Candy melts burned and you get bumpy pops instead of smooth ones. Also, it’s really important not to get any water in the candy melts or else they’ll harden, as well.
Then take your lollipop sticks [you can find them at Michaels] and dip the tips in the correct color candy melt and then stick them less than half way through in the cake balls.
Place them in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Dip in the colored candy melt you want and make sure to sprinkle on whatever decorations you want while the pop is still wet. They dry really quickly!
Have a styrofoam block ready and stick them in the block to dry.
They were really yummy and really simple to make!
- yellow cake
- chocolate cake
- two colors of candy melt
- lollipop sticks
- styrofoam block
- Unsalted butter, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Butter and flour a 7-inch round cake pan (3 inches deep). Sift flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 10-inch tube pan. Dust the bottom and sides of pan with flour, and tap out any excess. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well incorporated, occasionally scraping down the sides of bowl.
- Mix together buttermilk and vanilla. Slowly add the sifted flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan, and until cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Cake can be stored in freezer, double wrapped with aluminum foil, for up to 1 month.
- 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Bake Cakes
- Let cake cool completely
- Make cream cheese frosting
- Mix each cake with 3/4 c frosting
- Make Cake balls
- place in freezer for a few minutes
- Melt Candy melts
- Dip tips of lollipop sticks in candy melts
- Stick less than half way in cake ball
- Keep in fridge overnight or in freezer for 15 minutes
- Dip Pops in melted candy
- SPrinkle with decorations
- Place in prepared Styrofoam block